Friday, August 27, 2010

Bug

I'm on this new diet. Well, I don't eat anything and when I feel like I'm about to faint I eat a cube of cheese. I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight. 
-- Emily Chalton, "The Devil Wears Prada"

I've been away for the last week because of a bug. Not the stomach flu bug that Emily Chalton longs for to reach to her goal weight, but a nasty upper respiratory thing that has kicked my ass all week long. Today is the first day in six that I haven't felt like I was going to hack up a lung. Still coughing a lot, but not the rib bruising deep coughs that have been erupting from me all week long at all hours of the day and night.

And today is the first day that my head feels sort of clear and that sitting up, while tiring, doesn't seem like a tremendous effort.

I've had no appetite whatsoever this week.

Like zero.

Which is so very weird. I'm usually so hungry.

My daily food consumption this week: soup and sugar-free fudgsicles - very soothing on a throat that feels like sandpaper.

As a result of this rather limited diet, I've melted away a few more sticks of butter. However, I'm fairly certain from many years of experience that the loss is not permanent.

That's the thing about starving yourself...you might get quick results, but they won't last. Eventually, you have to eat again. And then - BOOM - those lost pounds... they're baaaack!

So I'm sure when I get on the scale again next week after resuming normal healthy eating, a few of those lost sticks of butter will make a repeat appearance on my body and on the scale. But that's OK.

Really.

I'd rather melt them away the healthy way - by eating right and exercising. Not by relying on an illness-induced semi-fast. While it was absolutely lovely to step on the scale today and see the number dipping ever lower, I recognize that it's just temporary. I'll gain those sticks of butter back and then work harder to get rid of them once again.

Anyway...

Just had some oatmeal. It feels good to have something of an appetite again. My fabulous husband went grocery shopping and stocked the fridge and cupboards with all kinds of healthy goodness. I'm looking forward to eating today.

But before that, I think a nap is in order. All of this sitting up and making/eating oatmeal... exhausting.

This bug is kicking my ass, People.

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I popped over here from your other blog which I found through Mel @ Stirrup Queens.

    We are on a somewhat similar path...weight loss and building our family through domestic adoption.

    Oh, and we put an offer on a house (which we didn't get) but I had NO appetite for 3 days (which is so unlike me as I'm an emotional eater). I've been doing WW since 6/1/10. I had prior success with both Atkins and SBD but was unable to keep the weight I lost off. I hope you have much better success than I.

    I look forward to getting to know you.

    ReplyDelete