Thursday, August 19, 2010

Breakfast of Champions

"Mmmmm. Nothin' says breakfast like spreading country Dijon mustard on cheese!" says my husband with a wry grin.

Breakfast during Phase 1 of the South Beach Diet is an interesting affair. No bread so no toast. Can't have cereal. No sweetened yogurt. You get to a lot of eggs and/or "egg beaters" and a lot of cheese.

And lean protein [read: sliced deli ham or turkey]

This morning Chris and I make the "Cheese and Ham [although we make them with turkey instead] Frico Breakwiches."

What the hell is "Frico?"

We've re-christened them the "Freaky Sandwiches."

And what are they? The guts of the sandwich without the bread.

Let me explain.

Basically you take 2 tablespoons of shredded, low-fat sharp cheddar and make it into a 3-inch pancake on a baking sheet. Make 4 of them. Stick'em all in the oven on 375 degrees for three minutes. Then you take them out and let them cool. They stiffen up in just a few minutes.

This is your "bread" for the sandwich.

Spread mustard on the cheese and fill with turkey (or ham if you're so inclined), red onion, and some lightly sauteed red bell pepper.

Voila!

Breakfast of Champions!

I know that Chris will be very grateful when we can semi-retire the Freaky Sandwiches (and I know he'll never eat the mini-frittatas ever again) and we start Phase 2 on Monday.

In Phase 2...There's French Toast.

P.S.
I again choke down - er - enjoy - yet another glass of V8. It isn't getting any better. But I now know that I can down the required 8 ounces of V8 in 4 big swallows.

No comments:

Post a Comment